Mohamed Eltayeb & Ayah Ziyadeh
In solidarity with Palestine for the fight for liberation, we have compiled several resources from several trusted institutions so that you can be informed on issues affecting Palestinians and educate and organize within your community to support Palestinian rights. The fight for Palestine is interconnected with the fight against militarized policing, settler colonialism, and ethnic cleansing. As a global media platform, it is our responsibility to elevate and amplify the voice of the voiceless. If you have any suggestions for any additional resources, please contact us at email@example.com
The Palestinian Nakba: What Happened in 1948 and Why It Still Matters
A panel brought to you by the Middle East Institute and Project48 featuring Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, Rashid Khalidi and others exploring why the Nakba still matters. Every year on May 15th, millions of Palestinians around the world commemorate the Nakba, or the catastrophe that befell them in 1948. This catastrophe resulted in the dispossession of an estimated 750,000 refugees from historic Palestine, and the uprooting of two-thirds of the Palestinian Arab population and their society in the process of the creation of the State of Israel.
73 years later, the Nakba remains central to Palestinian national identity and political aspirations, as evidenced by the 2018-19 Gaza March of Return and even the recent protests in Jerusalem. However, despite being a core Palestinian grievance, the Nakba continues to be whitewashed or denied outright by pundits, lobbyists, and even policymakers.
- Report: Human Rights Watch – “Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution” – Available in English, Arabic, and Hebrew
- Bill H.R.2590: To promote and protect the human rights of Palestinians living under Israeli military occupation and to ensure that United States taxpayer funds are not used by the Government of Israel to support the military detention of Palestinian children, the unlawful seizure, appropriation, and destruction of Palestinian property and forcible transfer of civilians in the West Bank, or further annexation of Palestinian land in violation of international law. Read more here
- Learn about the Israeli occupation and illegal annexation of East Jerusalem, and take action.
- Learn about the weapons the US gives to Israel and the tax dollars that your community provides to Israel.
Books: “Freedom is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement” -Angela Davis, “Stone Men: The Palestinians Who Built Israel” -Andrew Ross, “The Balfour Declaration” – Bernard Regan. Many more can be find here.
- Please buy local or from an independent bookstore, NOT Amazon (want to see more about Amazon Web Services? Watch this piece from Hasan Minhaj)
- Elizabeth’s Bookshop (A percentage of all sales from Elizabeth’s will go to The Loveland Foundation, Inc. to support their mission of making mental healthcare accessible for Black women and girls)
- Video Clip (~3min): Middle East Eye – “Explained: Why did Israeli forces storm Al-Aqsa Mosque?”
- Middle East Institute (MEI) @75’s Recording of the Zoom panel: “The Palestinian Nakba: What Happened in 1948 and Why It Still Matters”
- Documentary: “Born in Gaza” (Stream on Netflix here) This documentary focuses on the devastating violence of the Israel-Palestine conflict and its effects on the children of Gaza
PROTEST/ RAISE AWARENESS
- Together We Rise: Palestine as a Model of Resistance is a political education curriculum that provides critical voices, context, and resources to strengthen liberation struggles from the US to Palestine. Click here to learn more.
- All the tools and resources you need to organize effective boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) campaigns.
- Learn how to undertake ethical travel to Palestine and challenge Israeli apartheid tourism.
- Skills-building, trainings, resources, and more to help you fight for justice from the US to Palestine.
- A list to help you find presenters you can invite to speak and help educate your local community about Palestinian rights.
- Find out where your members of Congress stand on Palestinian rights, get lobbying tips, and download our grassroots congressional advocacy guide.
- CALL TO ACTION FORM
STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE PALESTINIAN PEOPLE
STAND AGAINST ISRAELI LAND THEFT
We Unite. We Campaign for Change.
Many of you may know that the U.S government annually funds the Israeli military. By doing so, the U.S is perpetuating violence against Palestinians and abetting the agenda of occupation. We elected members into congress, and we deserve to be heard by them. We have a call to action to urge your congress members to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people and address their call for human rights. Here are three things you can do!
CALL TO ACTION
Follow these few steps to advocate today and make sure your Congressional Leaders know you’re concerned and want action now:
- Find your Congressional leaders at HOUSE.gov (in upper right corner of the page) or text ‘RESIST’ to 50409
- Send an email using the template below
- Call them with the script below
- Elevate Palestinian voices and narratives on your social media, review our resources (linked at the end of this document)
Hi, my name is (your name) and I live in (city of residence). I am a constituent of (Congressional name) and I am gravely concerned about the violence experienced by Palestinian worshippers at Masjid Al-Aqsa during Ramadan and the unlawful displacement of Palestinian families in Sheikh Jarrah.
I urge (repeat Congressional name) to strongly take action with other members:
- To place conditions on US military aid to Israel by supporting H.R. 2590 (introduced by Rep Betty McCollum);
- To hold Israel accountable by demanding Israel compiles with international law and ends illegal settlement of Palestinian homes and lands; and
- To address and recognize the demands of Palestinians for freedom, justice, and security
Can I count on (repeat Congressional name) to take these actions?
Subject Line for Email: Do Not Deny Palestinians Human Rights
I am one of your constituents, and I am writing to you with great concern over the unraveling events in Sheikh Jarrah, East Jerusalem, Gaza and the violence against Palestinian worshippers at Masjid Al-Aqsa and surrounding holy sites. Several indigenous Palestinians families are being unlawfully forced out of their homes and replaced by Israeli settlers. They are also being threatened, arrested, attacked and killed by the Israeli Defense Force. And to watch this all transpire during the holy month of Ramadan in one of the most sacred cities in the world is unjust, unsettling, and needs attention.
Racist violence against Palestinians has been ongoing for years, and the United States has enabled this violence by providing the Israeli government with $3.8 billion in military aid annually. This aid is dispersed with no accountability or conditions attached, further perpetuating the racism and violence against the Palestinian people.
Palestinian families deserve fundamental human rights and the right to live safely and freely in Sheikh Jarrah and any of their occupied lands. US taxpayer dollars should not be funding the annexation of Palestinian land, building of illegal settlements.
As a constituent, I urge you to take action and work with other members of Congress to:
- Place Conditions on Military Aid to Israel: ensure that U.S. taxpayer funds are not utilized by the Israeli government to support the military detention of Palestinian children, the unlawful seizure of Palestinian property and displacement of Palestinian citizens, and the expansion of illegal annexations on Palestinian land by supporting H.R.2590 (https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2590?s=1&r=7), introduced by Representative Betty McCollum.
- Hold Israel Accountable: Despite clear international law, Israel continues to breach and violate humans rights by expanding settlements and upholding an apartheid regime that continues to deprive Palestinians of fundamental human rights and security.
- Address and recognize the demands of Palestinians for freedom, justice and security.
Thank you for your commitment to represent all of your constituents,
If you have difficulties in sending the above email, please note that CAIR Ohio did draft a similar email that will automatically send to your respective Congressional delegation upon you entering your name and address. Please click here to access it.
- Please continue using these hashtags and keep them trending:
- Collective resources from the front lines of the Sheikh Jarrah
- US CAMPAIGN FOR PALESTINIAN RIGHTS
- PALESTINE PORTAL
You can find Ayah on Instagram and Twitter. To contact Mohamed, you can reach him through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Twitter.