Mulu Baye, Bruk Binyam, Dom Beauchamp, & Annelise Fleming
Throughout the last few months, alongside denunciation of police brutality and racism, we’ve seen donation links, online petitions, tips for protesters, and mental health resources increase and spread over several social media platforms.
This toolkit was created by a group of Black Colorado students who want to make a list of accessible resources. The group provides several links concerning the black community, from mental health sources to scholarly sources. Here at 20/20 Vision, we encourage you to continue the movement and take action; we believe that in order to commit to ending systematic racism, one must educate themselves to understand the deep roots of America’s problem.
BLACK MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS
These articles have a list of free and/or reduced therapy offered by Black mental health professionals. From Black mental health podcasts, books, to video chats with a therapist it has plenty of accessible things to help our mental health, for us by us!
- (The Center for African American Health: Home) The Center for African American Health offers African American and Black Metro Denver communities culturally responsive resources that support them in overcoming the root causes of health problems so they can maximize their individual and family health.
- (Mental Health Center of Denver) The Mental Health Center of Denver accepts all people into treatment, regardless of ability to pay. No-one, regardless of insurance status or ability to pay goes without care. Information is available within the Fee Agreement process.MHCD provides bilingual translators – Spanish and ASL clinical staff; and translator services for consumers who do not speak English
- Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective (BEAM) Group aimed at removing the barriers that Black people experience getting access to or staying connected with emotional health care and healing. They do this through education, training, advocacy and the creative arts.
- Black Men Heal Limited and selective free mental health service opportunities for Black men.
- Black Mental Health Alliance – (410) 338-2642 Provides information and resources and a “Find a Therapist” locator to connect with a culturally competent mental health professional.
- Black Mental Wellness Provides access to evidence-based information and resources about mental health and behavioral health topics from a Black perspective, as well as training opportunities for students and professionals.
- Black Women’s Health Imperative Organization advancing health equity and social justice for Black women through policy, advocacy, education, research and leadership development.
- Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation BLHF has launched the COVID-19 Free Virtual Therapy Support Campaign to raise money for mental health services provided by licensed clinicians in our network. Individuals with life-changing stressors and anxiety related to the coronavirus will have the cost for up to five (5) individual sessions defrayed on a first come, first serve basis until all funds are committed or exhausted.
- Brother You’re on My Mind An initiative launched by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and NIMHD to raise awareness of the mental health challenges associated with depression and stress that affect Black men and families. Website offers an online toolkit that provides Omega Psi Phi Fraternity chapters with the materials needed to educate fellow fraternity brothers and community members on depression and stress in Black men.
- Ebony’s Mental Health Resources by State List of Black-owned and focused mental health resources by state as compiled by Ebony magazine.
- Henry Health Provides culturally sensitive self-care support and tele-therapy for Black men and their families. Currently in pilot program available only to residents of MD, VA and DC. Residents of other states can join their waiting list and will be notified when Henry Health is available in their state.
- Melanin and Mental Health Connects individuals with culturally competent clinicians committed to serving the mental health needs of Black & Latina/Hispanic communities. Promotes the growth and healing of diverse communities through its website, online directory and events.
- Ourselves Black Provides information on promoting mental health and developing positive coping mechanisms through a podcast, online magazine and online discussion groups.
- POC Online Classroom Contains readings on the importance of self care, mental health care, and healing for people of color and within activist movements.
- Sista Afya Organization that provides mental wellness education, resource connection and community support for Black women.
- Therapy for Black Girls Online space dedicated to encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls. Offers listing of mental health professionals across the country who provide high quality, culturally competent services to Black women and girls, an informational podcast and an online support community.
- The SIWE Project Non-profit dedicated to promoting mental health awareness throughout the global Black community.
- The Steve Fund Organization focused on supporting the mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color.
- Unapologetically Us Online community for Black women to seek support.
BLACK READING MATTERS
Links to books by Black authors that range from a variety of genres!
- https://www.nonamebooks.com/ (started by rapper Noname)
- https://twitter.com/JADALAREIGN/status/1273290226421686281 (black owned bookstores, they take online orders!)
BLACK EDUCATION MATTERS
Black and brown kids are given a lower education due to lack of funding compared to predominantly white schools. Through DonorsChoose, you can donate supplies/money to a Black/brown classroom in need. Many teachers at low-income schools depend on DonorsChoose to provide supplies to improve their students’ learning experience. You can choose what city, supplies, subject, age group, etc. to donate to! Linked below is the DonorsChoose website and a Ted Talk by a Black teacher in Boston that describes the disparity in depth!
- https://scholarshipguru.carrd.co/ (everything black students need to know about scholarships, made by a black woman)
BLACK LGBTQ+ LIVES MATTER
Here are links to gofundme’s and Black LGBTQ+ led organizations that uplift and support the Black LGBTQ+ community
BLACK LIVES MATTER
These are links to petitions, GoFundMe’s, and organizations that help the Black Lives Matter Movement and the Black community!
BLACK BUSINESS MATTERS
A list of black owned businesses from cities across the nation!
- https://officialblackwallstreet.com/directory/ (black owned article)
- https://www.supportblackowned.com/ (black owned article)
- https://theeverygirl.com/black-owned-businesses/ (black owned article)
- https://fareryder.com/ (black owned share riding app, based in DC)
BLACK HISTORY MATTERS
I have a pinterest board dedicated to Black History. Check it out if you’re interested! Also linked is a google drive folder dedicated to Black History!
BLACK RADICALISM MATTERS
If you are interested in learning more about radicalism and/or radicalizing yourself here are some books by Black radicals and resources that provide tactics to defund and abolish police!
THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN COLORADO MATTERS
Everything dedicated to Black liberation in Colorado specifically! Links to Black businesses in Colorado, organizations, food joints, retail stores, petitions, gofundme’s, etc.